It looks like we've got 3 new decks coming out for Fluxx this year: Regular Show deck in July, then in August is the Target exclusive Cartoon Network deck, then in October is the Holiday Fluxx deck as another general release.

Is there anything currently else in-the-works?  When I first became a fan of Fluxx, I saw - and still see - that the WikiPedia entry for Fluxx mentions a "Wild West Fluxx" version in development; whatever happened to that?  Soooo many possibilities there!

My main worry about the new decks coming out is that I've never caught Regular Show, nor has anyone else in my home, nor - to my knowledge - has any of the friends I play Fluxx with.  I have every other Fluxx deck made, but I don't know if I'll keep that "completeness" up now since it would practically be a waste of money.  Why would any of us play a deck themed around a TV show we never watch? The general CN one, with characters from a bunch of shows (including ones my friends and I have all watched) is a cinch, but the other?  I dunno.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

re: watching episodes on YouTube

You ought to be careful who you suggest this to.  I work for a website that's owned by a sister company of a major Hollywood studio.  Cartoon Network is someone my website deals with.  Per my contractual obligations, on Monday, I'll be letting the proper people know that I've become aware of a YouTube user who is posting CN's copyrighted material...possibly (probably?) without proper authorization from CN. 

I'm very aware of the show, and that if I don't want to watch it on CN itself, or on the CN app I have on my iPhone, then I can purchase it on DVD and Blu-ray Disc and watch it.  The problem is time; I don't have time enough in the world to check out every single TV show that is worth checking out.

re: How about to keep your collection complete and up to date, while also maybe finding a new card that would do well added to that custom deck of yours!  Of course there is always the chance that on any given Sunday, of all the Fluxx decks out there, your gaming group will want to play that one.

I don't have a custom Fluxx deck, or combine decks, and I don't collect the promo cards or do blank cards.  I do enough of that already for Cards Against Humanity, and there's just not enough time in the world to do that with Fluxx and all the other card/board games I'm into, too.  So this rationalization may work on others, but it isn't valid for me. 

re: Then there's new artwork to check out, possibly new mechanisms to find, and if you are a game technician...and act quickly, you can get the cool challenge coin and a few other promotion items to boot!

I'm not a game technician, or into the game for the artwork.  I buy Fluxx to play it, just to have fun. As for promo items, see what I said above...I'm not into Fluxx for that.  Wasn't even aware of it, and doesn't matter to me.

re: Or you can snag a copy to continue supporting an awesome brand and furthering their research and design for new products down the road!...Not too bad for something that's the cost of a burger and a beer, but lasts much, much longer!  

These were your best arguments.  But money's tight, and $20 can buy me, my wife and my kid enough food for two meals each, if I stretch it right.  More than 2 meals each, if I really play my - ahem - cards right.  On the other hand, I AM a complete-ist...and if I buy this deck, that will be the reason why I do.  Maybe it will be on sale during the holidays.  <shrug>

Anyway, I didn't post my thread to be talked into why to buy the Regular Show deck.  I posted it to ask if there was anything else more on tap besides these three items.

Fair enough, and all your points are valid responses - I sidestepped the root question and instead started listing all the reasons that I plan on purchasing new versions.  I certainly can't speak for what else is in the works.  I've removed the original reply - thank you for the reminder.

I believe the point of cross marketing is to introduce you to a thing you might not otherwise be interested in.

Yes, but as someone who is involved in the marketing industry, I can assure you that one of the most obvious dangers of cross-marketing is that you might drive off patronage by pairing with a brand that the customer is simply not interested in.

Again, I'm not discussing this for someone to try to talk me into buying the Regular Show Fluxx deck.  I either will but it, or won't buy it. And whether or not I do isn't up to anybody else, nor should it be of any interest to you.

I'm simply hoping for a response from the Looney Labs people as to whether or not there are more products to be expected in 2014, or not.  A simple "yes" or "no" or "maybe, if we get them done in time" would suffice.  A comment on whether or not the Wild West Fluxx mentioned on WikiPedia for a long time is still a possibility or not would also be really cool, or if that project is dead.

The Fluxx Wikipedia article was edited in April 2012 to add the version of Fluxx you mentioned.  The edit was made by an anonymous user who made no other edits for several years before or since, at least not at the same location.  I am not aware of such a product ever being announced by Looney Labs (it's certainly not on their product announcement page).  All of which leads me to believe that the edit was vandalism.  I took the liberty of removing it.

I went to Marcon earlier this year, a convention at which Looney Labs was Guest of Honor.  They showed off a bunch of prototypes, many of which I played and enjoyed.  So, yes, there are other things in the works.  Obviously, I can't speak to what might be next.

I have no interest in Regular Show Fluxx, either, but I hope they're able to create more Fluxx fans with it.  I own a lot of different Fluxxes, but I don't need to be a completist if that means limiting the themes to things that interest me personally.  That's my view, anyway.

>The Fluxx Wikipedia article was edited in April 2012 to add the version of Fluxx you mentioned.  The edit was made by an anonymous user who made no other edits for several years before or since, at least not at the same location.  I am not aware of such a product ever being announced by Looney Labs (it's certainly not on their product announcement page).  All of which leads me to believe that the edit was vandalism.  I took the liberty of removing it.

Sound logic.  Working at a website that conveys TV-DVD announcements, I've seen that sort of thing at WikiPedia before.  Sometimes (rarely) it's put there by one of the "powers that be" at the outfit behind such releases, trying to quietly and anonymously get word out that something is in-the-works.  MORE often (i.e., almost all the time) it's instead someone playing a gag (I don't get that sort of humor, but they think it's funny) or else it's someone passionate about the product, engaging in wishful thinking.  Since - unlike you - I had never simply investigated whether there was anything official put out there from Looney Labs saying that a Wild West deck was in-the-works, I just (mistakenly!) took the Wiki info at face value.  At this moment I'm kicking myself for doing so, especially for so long.  Ah, well.  I like old west movies from time to time, so I thought this was such a perfect idea for a deck that I was just waiting for it.  Maybe some day.

>I went to Marcon earlier this year, a convention at which Looney Labs was Guest of Honor.  They showed off a bunch of prototypes, many of which I played and enjoyed.  So, yes, there are other things in the works.  Obviously, I can't speak to what might be next.

Cool, cool.  You think anything else will be coming before the year is out, other than the three mentioned above?  Just a "yeah" or "nah" or "maybe" will do.

>I have no interest in Regular Show Fluxx, either, but I hope they're able to create more Fluxx fans with it.  I own a lot of different Fluxxes, but I don't need to be a completist if that means limiting the themes to things that interest me personally.  That's my view, anyway.

A good view, and a good way of describing the way I look at it.  I'm sure PLENTY of people will love the Regular Show Fluxx deck.  Does it matter if I'm not one of them?  :)

You could always work on a Wild West Fluxx, and share it with us.

But what goal could there be that would require John Wayne and Rowdy Yates? Hmm...

Any chance of a Princess Bride version of Fluxx in the future ?  Just played Monty Python Fluxx with a bunch of friends on the weekend, and it was great fun!  I think the Princess Bride has enough memorable characters and quoteable lines that it has great potential for a version of its own.  (I've even got a rough draft of what I would include for Keepers, Creepers and customized Actions/Rules ... ).  Can we put this on someone's wish list ?

I have been kicking one a round for a while. Want to compare notes? Sending you a friend request, so we can talk via messages.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Ning Administrator.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service