*Note: Most photos are not mine and were saved from random social media posts I stumbled across or was directed to during the event, so I have not listed credit for any pictures. Many photos can be clicked to enlarge.  If one needs to be removed, or must be properly attributed, please message me or an administrator.*

LooneyCon was a blast for most, with there being a few people who probably found it to be borderline epic. Spread over 3 days (Fri July 22nd 4-10pm, Sat July 23rd 10am-10pm, Sun July 24th 10am-4pm) the itinerary covered all things Looney Labs, from existing games to prototypes to spontaneous game creation. Some came from as far as Texas and more, I came from about 150 miles away, with the intention of spending Friday and Saturday, that is until the schedule was released, and there was this deliciously enticing carrot tucked into the Sunday agenda: '1:00 pm – 2:30 pm | Rare Items Auction'. Curiosity quickly killed the cat and I made plans for all three days. 

About a week before the convention, an email came out with an FAQ, answering the where's and how's, including detailing the lots in said Rare Items Auction. You can find a listing of those auction items HERE. Of interesting note was the statement 'Real currency will not be accepted! Bidding will be done with Looney Bucks, which you can win/earn during the weekend!' ... With 2 extremely old handmade pyramid sets, a full stash of unique colored pyramids, 10 additional trios of unique color pyramids and many other prototypes and developmental versions of random stuffs, the Looneys certainly dug out an awesome assortment of antiquities to give away, and competition for them could be intense! Adding that into the rest of the schedule and unscheduled fun, and it sure sounded like a fantastic weekend of gaming and more was in store!

(click to enlarge)

- Day 1: Fri, July 22nd, 4pm-10pm -

You are standing inside LooneyCon.  What do you want to do?

> Look

You are in a large room full of tables and chairs. People are bustling about, engaged in jovial activities. Kristin Looney is here.

> Exits

An entrance foyer with double glass doors is behind you to the south - you can see a brightly dressed woman standing there, greeting people and handing out purple bags. To the east is a performance stage, to the north are three sectioned-off folding tables.

> Look at stage

Bookended by two short sets of ascending stairs, with a dramatically draped curtain that is currently curtailed back, a large wooden stage takes up the entire eastern side of the room. 'It's perfectly sized for game demonstrations!' you think to yourself.

> Look at tables

While most of the tables have random people playing random games, three plain folding tables stand to the north, sectioned off to obviously to keep the riff-raff out.

> Look at folding tables

Never one to consider yourself riff-raff, you slyly look over at the three folding tables. One is full of what looks like retail offers - a lovely women with at least one bird on her shoulder is standing here, rather obviously observing your observations. The second table is littered with many generic-looking boxes you sort-of recognize, mixed together with a colorful pile of different boxes printed in languages you are unfamiliar with. The last table contains many oddities that appear to be from times passed - some of them look familiar, but in unusual ways you've never seen before.

> Inventory

You are carrying a plastic bag.

> Look bag

It's purple! ...And has the number 25 handwritten on the side! ...And it appears to be full of different items!

> Open bag

Opening the bag you find a name badge (with your name on it!), an old-school Fluxx sticker, an even older looking tirade sticker, a few embroidered patches with Cartoon Network emblems, a white cotton bandana with your bag number written on the corner, a few promotional posters including one that says 'Zombie Fluxx', and a crisp, freshy-fresh, lime-green 100 Fluxx-Buck along with a list of how to earn more Fluxx Bucks.

> Look Kristin

Dressed in tie dye with an obligatory matching bandana and sporting a soft pink pyramid perched on her hip, Kristin takes a moment to flash her trademark grin in your direction.

> Talk to Kristin

"Welcome to LooneyCon and thanks for coming out!" Kristin says, "I'm looking forward to playing games with you!"

> Play games with Kristin

The weekend begins to blend together as you suddenly find yourself immersed in Looneycon. While everyone who attended got an individually numbered bag of goodies it was the early bird getting the worm on this day, as those that were there shortly after the gates opened were invited into the weekends first event - A Parsley Adventure! (Whats a Parsley Adventure?)  About 30 or 40 people participated in this real-time verbal quest titled 'Muffins', narrated by Andy Looney the computer, who gives pre-programmed responses to questions as the group takes turns issuing commands to navigate the mission. It took group cooperation, an open mind, and some crazy suggestions to find our way to the solution, but we did get there and had a lot of laughs on the way. As a totally unexpected bonus, there is a unique Fluxx card awarded to anyone who completes the particular adventure that we did, so everyone got a super cool, early gift! No spoilers here this time though, you'll have to get in on the fun to get the info on that reward!

After a quick catered meal (incidentally, the food was very good for the situation - lunches were overstuffed sandwiches or decent looking salad stuff, fresh breads; dinners - pasta, chicken, vegetarian options, etc) attention turned to the evenings second event, Tie Dye a Bandana with Kristin. This was great for me, I've always wanted to try tie dye, but have never had a chance. Kristin and Alison Frane demonstrated 5 or 6 different methods of tying a bandana, then everyone was free to tie their own however they wished, then to choose one of three colors (blue, green, purple) it would be dyed. Kristin and a few volunteers (who got a random award of Fluxx Bucks for offering to help - a common occurrence throughout the weekend) took the bandanas back into the magical kitchen that was on site, dyed them, untied them, then took them home to dry for the evening, bringing them back in the morning, where everyone could locate their own work based on the number in the corner. Saturday offered up a Bandana Crafts hour, where some decorated theirs with custom made ink stamps, while a few others created Chessboard Bandana patterns, and one person traced the Petri Dish layout onto theirs!

After Friday evenings bandana fun was the Homeworlds exhibition.  Homeworlds (the most popular version specifically titled 'Binary Homeworlds' and the instructions can be found HERE) is an epic-space-opera pyramid game where two opposing players compete to take control of the galaxy through attack, defense and resource management. Designed by John Cooper and billed as Andy Looney's favorite game, Homeworlds has a fairly steep learning curve to totally grasp, due to the large plethora of player options available at any given time, and can take a few trials runs to understand. To make the exhibition as enjoyable as possible for everyone interested, Andy and John each chose two advisers - experienced players to help them along - and played a game with each side under the duress of a ticking clock starting at 25 minutes, which only counted down during their turn: if either teams clock reached zero, that team automatically lost. With observers circled around, the performance was played out on stage with oversized pyramids and [randomly, ironically and literally!] red-velvet lined thrones available for Andy and John to command from. The game featured about an hour of brain-busting battle, and ended with John's team entertainingly edging out Andy's shortly before time was up, entirely to the Emperor's frustrations! Epic space opera indeed!

(Click any to enlarge!)     

Friday evening wrapped up with an Improv Fluxx design, Andy on the mic, and Laurie keeping track of things on a computer with a wall projector so everyone could follow along. After soliciting a few dozen ideas, the crowd voted the topic down to 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. A few participants volunteered as Topic Experts, and a few volunteered as artists (earning a cool $50 Fluxx Bucks for their trouble!). With Andy's direction and everyone's involvement, a batch of keepers were proposed, created and drawn on the spot, with clever goals and creepers quickly coming next. As developing new rules and actions wasn't part of the exercise, most of the standard ones you've come to know and love were automatically included. After a whiles worth of hard work, a new prototype Fluxx deck was born, and was added to the three-tables Prototype Area for anyone to play with throughout the weekend. While it would of course take a bit of play testing and additional thought to truly balance out the deck, it was super cool seeing it come to life before our very eyes!

By about 10pm the crowd had started thinning out, with a few volunteers helping to clean up while others helped with the tie dye bandanas. Apparently when you put 5-10 rubber bands ties on each of 150 bandanas or so, it takes some time and effort to cut them all back off!!

- Day 2: Sat, July 22nd, 10am-10pm -

Day two brought back many familiar faces with some new ones mixed in. While it was busy and people were seemingly everywhere, I think most could agree that the number of participants was just right. There were always many different games going on, and everyone was friendly, constantly asking if you'd like to start a game, join a game, or learn a new game. If you needed a break from that, Alison Frane's pop-up Looney Labs store had everything from the Looney Labs retail line one could want. Stationed next to her was a table of prototypes (available for full use, but not to be photographed, or played with outside of the table they were on) and many more foreign language versions of their games than I realized existed. There was also a book of many unused Fluxx ideas, including uncut sheets for Drinking Fluxx and Adult Fluxx - the latter of which, if you use your imagination, yes - you'll be spot on! Besides that was the table of Rare Auction Items, where everything could be picked up and checked out. It was fantastic how some of the items were crazy cool in color, while others had a never-ending nostalgic edge to them: (bottom row) violet, forest green and smoky black compared to (top row) purple, green & clear and The Icehouse Handbook (1991).

Stationed in the foyer just outside the large room was a fully functional 150-or-so level Icebreaker video game, designed by Andy Looney, and you can read more about it HERE. Only playable on a now defunct 3DO video game system, one of the Fluxx Bucks achievements was to complete a level (worth $10 Fluxx Bucks). Other achievements for LooneyCon that had Fluxx Bucks rewards included posting on social media with the tag @LooneyLabs/#LooneyCon2016 ($20), reminding Alison to tweet ($1), remind Kristin to post on Facebook ($1), cosplay a Just Desserts character on Saturday ($50), win the cosplay contest ($100), win a Fluxx tourney button ($50), win the Fluxx world championship ($100), win the Homeworlds tournament ($100), demo a game on camera ($100), 'squee' on camera ($10), play a game in a language you don't know ($30), play a game you've never played before (up to 4 @ $20 each), leave feedback for a game you play tested ($30), vote for what should be the next Fluxx ($10), play a game with giant pyramids ($20), along with a few others. Additionally, all Looney Labs employees were stocked with Fluxx Bucks, giving them away for volunteerism, good deeds, cleaning up, or other random acts of victories or just general awesomeness. So, there was plenty to do besides what was on the itinerary!

As listed in the achievements, Saturday was also Just Desserts cosplay day! There were several hippies, nature girls and tourists, two hermits, and one each of an Emperor, a dude, a lumberjack, a Roland, and an astronaut. Fun fact: the person who came dressed as the astronaut is 1 of only 100 people STILL CURRENTLY eligible to be selected to be sent on a mission to mars! If she goes, she is taking Looney pyramids with her, so they can finally 'return home'! Courtesy of Kim Kieffer, you can catch the 8:43 long cosplay contest video HERE.

Just before lunch, while I was fending off The Seekers in the Icebreaker video game, the Homeworlds tourney got underway. While I do play Homeworlds, I just didn't make it into the competition this time, and accordingly don't have many details from it, but do have this short video from Kathy Zottman showing one of the games coming to completion HERE.

Fortunately, I was able to make up missing that by getting in a few rounds of the prototype Zendo 2.0 after Icebreaker - a more than fair trade, I'd say! Currently 3-D printed with three shapes (pyramid, block & wedge) in one size over four colors, the new version opens many new doors to game play, feels fairly well balanced, and is fun to play. You can check out the official 3-minute teaser video, which glimpses the pieces in action, HERE.

Part of the bonus of this convention for me was some of the behind-the-scenes aspects of game design. It previously surfaced in the Improv Fluxx event, and as another example, there were many different 3-D printed iterations of Zendo 2.0 pieces available to look at that did not make the final cut (or, at least so far) including things like half-spheres, cylinders, etc. It was as gracious as it was impressive of the Looneys to open up some of that information to us on as many levels as they did. That sorta stuff, and being allowed into some of the more intimate discussions - for example, with Kristin on the basic finances involved with trying to produce Loonacy with custom logos on it (all while she was teaching us Zark City, mind you!) - may have been my favorite aspect of the entire weekend.

(Zark City, using square Pyramid Arcade cards)

Almost as entertaining, was being able to participate in the biggest Andy vs Everybody game in history. How does this Andy vs Everything work?  In a nutshell, Andy runs around taking his turn in a handfull of different multi-person games at once, with small flags being stood up to indicate when he was due to move. As that happens, he runs up, surveys the situation, plays his turn, and runs off to another game, with _typically_ 5 or 10 to maybe 15 games going on at once. It's just in this case Andy was somehow juggling like a bajillion games. Check out the 35 minute video from Joshua Denmeade of it HERE.

During this event, I sat in with two strangers and the game we played vs Andy was Aquarius. It's said Andy typically wins about 30% of the games he plays, on this day I believe the total was 4 out of 21, however he won the game against us via a rotate goal card that brought him victory. Way to go Andy! Fun fact: the people I was playing with in Andy vs Everybody had been married about a year, and he proposed to her via a Fluxx game with a ring keeper! Hows that for cool and classy? Great stuff.

What was also great, was how easy it was to meet new people who like the same sort of games. Being interested in game design, I have tried to assemble a few of my own pyramid games, and am currently working on a one-player adventure-style dungeon crawler that only utilizes whats found in Pyramid Arcade. With the majority of the outline in place, I've been going round-and-round on just exactly how the combat would work, kicking around a few different options. After playing several different Looney games with some new found friends, I ended up getting into a lengthy conversation about it with another attendee, and with the actual Pyramid Arcade on the table and in front of me (even complete with the new rounded pyramid tips!), was able to totally assemble my idea and get some feedback on it. The suggestions were fast, furious, and in some cases in directions I had not considered before, which was, well, exciting! Almost as exciting as playing with the only copy of Pyramid Arcade in existence...Sooooo exciting that our discussion pushed right through the start of the Fluxx tournament, so we did not get entered. A bummer, but these things happen!

While Cindi Parker was taping 18 minutes of the Fluxx Finals for your viewing pleasure (HERE) which, sorry for the spoiler, ended with The Dude from the cosplay contest winning it all, I got myself into a giant-pyramid game of Homeworlds with someone that was standing next to me, as we were both previously watching other people play the same game. Through discussion it seemed we were about the same skill level, and that proved true as our game unfolded, as he managed to destroy half my homeworld by catastrophe before I was able to come back and ultimately defeat him the same way. A great game, a tough victory, another achievement accomplished, another friend made.

The final event on Saturday was a second Parsley Adventure, titled 'Fun World'. This group - shown below - was a bit larger than the first, but the results were the same - team cooperation, lots of laughs, and somehow getting to the end - but we only died once this time! These verbal adventures are interesting, entertaining and highly recommended - it was a perfect way to casually and comfortably wrap up 12 hours of all things Looney!

- Day 3: Sun, July 23rd, 10am-4pm -

The final day of LooneyCon took place below the main level of the facility we had been in the previous two days. Here, there was a smaller-than-upstairs room for gaming, and a different smaller-than-upstairs room that had been set up in the style of a seminar, with no tables and all the chairs facing front. The Looney Lab Rare Auction Items were proudly displayed towards the front of the room, on the only horizontal surface available, and commanded plenty of attention as people made their way in. With the Looney Labs Game Show scheduled to start about 10am, the room was pretty full on time. Laurie took center stage and explained the rules for the next few hours, essentially stating there would be a 3-round game show, with over $10,000 in Fluxx Bucks awarded as prizes - the only way to earn Bucks on Sunday, as the achievement portion of the program was complete.

Round one started with everyone taking any seat, as each seat had the same 4 colored blank note cards on it (purple, red, blue, green) and a pen. We were instructed to grab the purple one, put our bag number in the upper corner, then get ready to answer 10 upcoming questions, based on Looney Lab history and knowledge. Here are the questions - all of the answers to these questions can be found at the very end of this post.

0. What is your bag number? This is actually worth 1 point!
1. What did Kristin gain fame for in 1981? Two words.
2. What was the nickname Andy 'called' in college that has stuck? One word.
3. Where did Kristin and Andy meet? One word.
4. Where did Andy propose to Kristin? One word.
5. What is the name of Kristen and Andy's house? One word.
6. What is the name of the company Kristin and Andy founded in 1990. Two words.
7. What is the name of the main character in the web comic 'Iceland'? One word.
8. What is Kristin's Burning Man nickname? One word.
9. What is Andy's Burning Man nickman? Two Words.
10. What book did Kristin recently write a chapter for? Three words.

Did you get 6 or more of those questions correct, including the free bag number point? If so, you might have qualified for Round 2! On this day, they were looking for the top 6 scores from the entire room, and as luck would have it, there were exactly 6 people who had 6 or more points, so there were no tie-breakers needed to establish who moved on. The top six people were each awarded $500 Fluxx Bucks, then were randomly split into two groups, and it worked out that the 3 people who scored 6 points exactly - by chance all Looney fans - were in one group (Team A) and the other three people, who each scored more than 6 points - by chance all Looney friends & neighbors - were in Team B. Fun Fact: Team A, made of only fans, all got the same exact 6 questions correct - #'s 0, 1, 2, 3, 5 & 7.

Round two of the game was played Family Feud style. At some point leading up to LooneyCon, emails were sent and posts were posted, surveying all of the fans NOT attending LooneyCon for their top response to a number of Looney Lab and gaming related questions. 657 people responded, and a small handfull of the topics were chosen to be used in the game, with the top 5 or 6 responses compiled for each question.

Just like in Family Fued, one person from each team was called up, and both were read a question, looking for the most popular answer. The person who clapped first got to answer first, and if their answer was not the top answer given by the 657, then the other team got to try and give a better answer. The team representative that had the most frequent answer won their team the right to continue trying to guess the rest of the question's answers as a group. If they then missed 3 times trying to guess all the rest of the top 6 answers, the other team got one attempt to steal the point. First team to 2 points moved on. Got it? Good! The answers to this round of questions are included in the following text.

The first question was: Where is your favorite place to play games? (Top 6 answers)

Team B's representative clapped first, and gave the answer 'Coffee Shop', which was the 4th most popular answer. Team A's representative answered 'At Home' which was the most popular answer, giving Team A the chance to continue. If Team A could provide the rest of the answers without 3 misses, they would win the first point. Team A's following answers were: 'Convention' which was #6, then 'Outside' which was #5. The following 3 answers 'At work', 'Online' and 'Uhhhhh' were not on the list, quickly striking out Team A. Team B was given a one-answer chance to get one of the missing answers (#2 and # 3) and came up with 'Friends House' which was #2, thus stealing the question and giving Team B the first point! #3 was never guessed - any ideas? You can find the answer at the very bottom.

The second question was: What's the first game you ever learned? (Top 6 answers)

Again, Team B got the first clap, and answered with 'Checkers' which was not on the list, clearing the way for Team A who replied 'Tic-Tac-Toe', which was #4. With control of the question for the second time, Team A's following answers were: 'Candyland' which was #2, then 'Shoots & Ladders' which was #3. 'Hide & Seek' and 'Connect 4' were Team A's first two strikes before they gave the #1 answer, 'Go Fish'. 'Old Maid', not on the list, was their third strike, giving Team B a second chance to steal a point and their first chance to win the game. Team B's collective answer of 'Monopoly' was not on the list either, giving Team A their first point, and an overall tie at 1-1. The missed answers were #5 and #6, and can be found at the very bottom.

The third and tie-breaking question was: Name a Looney Labs game other than Fluxx? (Top 5 answers)

Team A got the clap in first this time, answering 'Just Desserts', the #4 overall answer. Team B countered with 'Back to the Future' which did not make the top answers, giving Team A control of the question for the third straight time. Their first answer, 'Chrononauts' was #2, followed by 'Pyramids' - the top answer - then 'Aquarius', which was #3. This left only #5 to be answered, and Team A with 3 strikes to go...and then they quickly struck out with incorrect answers 'Choose One', 'Mad Libs' and 'Seven Dragons'. With a second chance to steal the point and win the game, Team B's collective answer of 'Are You A Warewolf' was not on the list, giving Team A the point, and come from behind victory! Give a guess of your own on if you like, then find the 5th most popular answer to question three at the bottom. Having survived the first two rounds, Team A moved on to round 3.

Round 3 was a game of Team A vs The Mob. Functioning as a single unit, with their backs towards the room, the three members from Team A would be read the same questions as the entire room. Team A could work together to get their answer, with every other person in the room working by themselves, and starting standing up. The questions were multiple choice, and each had three answers, represented by the colors of the remaining three notecards. A question would be read, and both Team A and each member of the mob would choose a notecard to represent their answer. If a member of the mob got one question wrong, they were eliminated and had to sit down. If all members of the mob were eliminated, Team A won the pile of money, $7000 Fluxx Buck in total. However, if Team A had one wrong answer, the pile of money was split between every member of the mob still remaining. There were a few catches - Team A could stop at any time and split the pile of money with the remaining mob members, and Team A was also given 3 helps of various types that could be used.

With that, the mob stood up, Team A faced away, and the game began!

Question one: Andy used to close his Wunderland blog entries with this phrase "Peace, love & _________ "
     A. Happiness (Red card)
     B. Fun (Blue card)
     C. Chocolate (Green Card)

Team A conferred for a few seconds, and quickly had the correct answer - which can be found at the end of this post. While I don't have any specific numbers, the great majority of the mob got this question correct as well. As the mob started out all standing, those who missed the question were out and had to sit.

Question two: What was the second card game Looney Labs published after Fluxx?
     A. Aquarius (Red card)
     B. Chrononauts (Blue Card)
     C. Are You the Warewolf? (Green card)

Again, Team A got together for a brief moment, but had the correct answer fairly quickly, as did the majority of the remaining mob. This answer is also at the end of this post.

Question three: Andy has written many stories, which of these is NOT one of them?
     A. The Space Under the Clock (Red card)
     B. The Emperor Must Die (Blue Card)
     C. When I Was A Little Guy (Green Card)

At this point, there was probably 60-75% of the mob remaining, but this was a much, much tougher question. Team A put their heads together for at least 30 seconds, before asking for their first Help - the ability to turn around and look at how the audience was voting. 'That's not much help!' Team A quickly declared seeing the mixed responses. Only ONE person was holding up red, with the rest split between blue and green, with blue having quite a few more. Team A got together again, talking for another 30 seconds, before giving their CORRECT answer of red - The Space Under the Clock. If you only check out one minute of Joshua Denmeade's 55:34 long video of the whole game show HERE:  check out the highlight around 48:35 when the only person who also guessed red (and a random guess at that!) is still standing as everyone else sits down - definitely one of the moments of the weekend!

What the still-standing mob didn't know, and what one member of Team A (somehow!) happened to catch, was that the correct title of answer A was The Space Under the Window, not Under the Clock; the changed word gave Team A enough of a clue to get the answer. At that moment, Team A congratulated the one girl still standing, and said they wanted to stop. Laurie offered up that the next help was a 'sneak peek', where they could hear the next question before deciding to stop, however Team A declared that the one mob member left deserved to win as well, and the four of them split $7000 Fluxx Bucks - $1750 each!

Here are the rest of the round 3 questions that did not get used, their answers as well are at the very bottom.

Unused question four: In what year did the Wunderland gift shop begin accepting credit cards?
     A. 1995
     B. 1997
     C. 1999

Unused question five: Is Kristin a cat person or a dog person?
     A. Cat
     B. Dog
     C. Neither

Unused question six: In what year did Andy and Kristin meet?
     A. 1986
     B. 1987
     C. 1988

Unused question seven: Andy makes a particular food nearly every week and has done so for decades, name that food.
     A. Steak
     B. Pancakes
     C. Fudge

Usused question eight: What did Kristin work on at NASA?
     A. Guidence systems
     B. Flight software
     C. Telemetry

Usused question nine: What version of Fluxx inspired the invention of creepers?
     A. Cthulhu Fluxx
     B. Nature Fluxx
     C. Zombie Fluxx

Unused question ten: Which of these is NOT one of the Looney's cats?
     A. Toto
     B. Shiro
     C. Geeen Bean

With the game show wrapped up, and the prize money distributed, there was a pizza break before it was finally time for the Rare Items Auction. With about 50 auction lots, and upwards of 100 people in attendance, anything was bound to happen. Ran by house auctioneer Andy Looney, I don't know of any video of the auction, but it went as most do. Items that sold early, sold for 'modest' amounts. There were 10 lots of unusually colored pyramid trios, and I recall the first one - a tangerine like orange - went for about $220 Fluxx Bucks, probably the steal of the event. Trios that went much later towards the end, like Forest Green and Smoky Black, went for $800 and well over $1000 respectively. Auctioned off early, the 15 blue resin-poured pyramids went for around $1500, and the 15 red xyloid set about $1200 - both probably also decent steals of the event. Other higher selling items included a full 15-piece set of unique 'Orange Dream' pyramids that went for $2200 - the highest selling piece (and shown below on the left next to xeno orange), and an unopened copy of Zendo sold for well over $1000 - these last two items were bought by Team A game show winners.

Many other items went for between $200-$800 and while there were plenty of fun moments, there were - as with any auction - inevitably a few slightly tenser times, but they all seemed to work out for the most part. The first auction item was an uncut sheet of Aquarius cards in poster form, an auction that was lost by a family with a younger child that ended up getting upset about it. In another fantastic moment, after the auction, that item's winner gifted it to the kid, getting their auction item - an out of print book - in return. Unrelated and mid-way through, a teacher was desperately trying to win a very old Andy Looney 'The Cake That Baked Itself' children's book to share with her students, and ended up getting it when her competition graciously conceded as long as he could read the book before she left with it. Another time, a woman was fighting for a particular set of unique pyramid trios (light mint) that perfectly matched the color of her kickstarter pyramid arcade game card, and upon finding that reason out, her bidding competition backed off. Things wrapped up with two very long time Looney Labs fans battling over the final item, and a touch of chaos ensued as people started randomly giving money to each of them. After a little back and forth of this, one of the two bidders stood up and with a bit of a reluctant grin, literally threw in the towel, showering the scene with money and putting one of the biggest smiles you'll see on the winners face when she got her item.

The auction over and the convention coming to a close, there was celebration with cake in honor of the reason for the entire occasion - Fluxx's 20th birthday, with both Happy Birthday and the Fluxx Card Game Theme Song (written by The DoubleClicks) being sung by the room. Then there was an autograph session as people got their rare items and Fluxx Bucks signed, and a group of unique pyramid color winners played a game of 'Millionaire's Treehouse' in the back, while others checked out their various winnings as the crowd started dispersing and heading home.

(All.auction-winners)

Bringing this report to a close, I would hope it's obvious how much fun there was to be had. The Looney's, Alison, Laurie, Bonnie & crew must have put a ton of thought into the events, the auction, the achievements, and the entire weekend - and it didn't go unnoticed by the attendees. I doubt that twice the number of us could do half as good a job as they did, so part of this event report was to call attention to just how great they did at EVERYTHING, and how much I personally appreciated it. So, thanks, Guys! What's more, is that the weekend ticket was $30.00 - if you bought that and went all three days, you got fed 4 times which was worth it in itself, not to mention all the other give-aways. It was so much fun, I would easily pay twice that (or more if necessary) if they would consider doing it again next year!

You guys will consider doing it again next year, won't you??

- Alex.

----------------------------------

Quiz answers from above:

Round 1:

1. Rubik's Cube
2. Emperor
3. NASA
4. Disneyland
5. Wunderland
6. Icehouse Games
7. Tirade
8. Daisy
9. Outdoor Voice
10. Girls On Games

Round 2.

Question 1: #3 - Friendly Local Game Store
Question 2: #5 - Crazy 8's, #6 - Hi Ho Cherry O
Question 3: #5 - Loonacy

Round 3.

1. C
2. A
3. A
4. B
5. A
6. A
7. C
8. C
9. C
10. C

LooneyCon, July 2016

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all that's a pretty sweet photo of me in the Homeworlds exhibition game. Thanks for finding it! And secondly, as the person who nabbed both the resin and xyloid sets of Icehouse pieces... Yes they were totally the steal of the con. It was a lot of fun. Fantastic write up by the way!

In case you're interested, Sarah's answer in the game show wasn't totally random. She figured "The Space Under the Clock" was the least interesting title, and what Andy would be least likely to write. Being a writer may have given her an advantage.

The really impressive part is that she ignored the temptation to change when she saw no one agreed.

This...is...awesome!

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Ning Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service