I've been interested in solitaire games lately so while playing around I came on the rules for a little game called Minimax.  It's a Mancala game with 5-cells where your goal is to get the most points possible.

The rules are at http://fogus.me/fun/spiel/minimax/ if you're so inclined to try.

Feedback is always welcome at me at fogus dot me or on this very forum.

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"take four trios and randomly distribute the pyramids amongst all cards but the vault, two to each card."

Should that say "three to each card", since there are 4 non-vault cards? Or am I confused?

You're not confused.  I am.  :(  I fixed the rules to say "three."

I will look at the rules and try it this weekend!

Wonderful!  Feedback is always welcomed.

I tried it out and won, ending with 4 trees in the vault. I'm not sure if they are considered monocolor or not (see rule question below):

1. I found the paragraph starting with "While sowing onto cards you may build structures if possible." to be a bit confusing. Does it mean that only when you place a pyramid onto a card, you can make a tree on that card? Or can you make a tree before sowing (e.g. at the start of the game if a card randomly happens to have a small, a medium, and a large)? Or does it mean that you can e.g. sow a medium into a space with a large and decide to place it onto a large (committing yourself) in the hope of later sowing a small onto that? (In this case, I guess you can't rebuild structures, see question 2...)

2. Can existing structures be rebuilt (i.e. when I sow into the vault can I rearrange trees to make them monocolor for scoring purposes)?

3. The game ends when "You sow the last pyramid or tree during a turn onto an empty card." Literally that means that if your first move sows into the vault, then the game ends, since the vault is an empty card. Is that intended?

Hi Russ, it's no surprise that the rules were confusing, but thanks to your feedback I should be able to fix them.  That said, let me answer your question directly.

Does it mean that only when you place a pyramid onto a card, you can make a tree on that card? Or can you make a tree before sowing (e.g. at the start of the game if a card randomly happens to have a small, a medium, and a large)? Or does it mean that you can e.g. sow a medium into a space with a large and decide to place it onto a large (committing yourself) in the hope of later sowing a small onto that?

The last interpretation is correct.  That is, you can only construct parts of the tree "in passing."

Can existing structures be rebuilt (i.e. when I sow into the vault can I rearrange trees to make them monocolor for scoring purposes)?

Like before, tree building is always done in passing, even in the vault.

The game ends when "You sow the last pyramid or tree during a turn onto an empty card." Literally that means that if your first move sows into the vault, then the game ends, since the vault is an empty card. Is that intended?

My intent was to tree the vault differently from the other cards, so no you don't end the game if you end on the vault.  Indeed, if you end sowing in the vault you get a special power to choose from any other card on the next sow.

I'll look over the rules the first chace I get and try to clarify these points. 

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the feedback Russ.  I modified the rules to be (hopefully) more clear.

Fogus,

As I recall, you posted a very large number of games over a period of a year. I've been curious to try the stronger of those games, but I'm more inclined to try a game that is on the wiki (instead of trying to dig up random websites or an old forum post such as this).

Have you taken any consideration of putting some of your favorites on the wiki? https://www.icehousegames.org

I definitely intended to always add them to the wiki, but for ~2-years it was down for the count.  Now that it's up I'll add what I've got to the wiki post haste. :)  Thanks for the poke.

BTW, I've been playing around with the PyArc-style template too.  :)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139550/rules-pyramid-arcade-...

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Ning Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service